This is a family favorite for sure!
The Italian Rice Box is a savory casserole. It reminds me of lasagna, and risotto combined. It’s so good!
I love lasagna! My mom’s recipe is so good, …. noodles, ground beef, sauce, and a lot of cheese! Because I loved it so much, when trying to find shortcuts to make healthy dishes in less time, I decided to add a spin to the traditional lasagna recipe, and substitute the noodles with brown rice… and the Italian Rice box was born.
This meal prep is so easy.
If your rice is already steamed, then meal prep is ~ 30 min.
Remember, you can set a timer to steam your rice ahead of time in the Aroma Steamer!… this reduces your prep to just the final assembly, and bake. You could also use frozen steamed brown rice, and skip the steaming process altogether.
- Organic brown rice (~4 cups steamed)
- Organic Chicken Broth (Optional ingredient to steam the rice)
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 lb. Lean Turkey Italian Sausage — I used Jennie-O brand Italian seasoned ground turkey.
- 1 jar of organic pasta sauce (25.5oz) — I used Muir Glen, Organic Tomato Basil, and it was so good!
- Finely Shredded Italian Cheese Blend (Kraft, Kroger brand, etc.)
- Dried Garlic powder
- Dried Oregano
- Olive oil
Meal Prep = 8 containers, ~350 calories per box.