Ok, I have to admit…. I probably won’t actually eat this one. Personally, I’m not a fan of Alfredo sauce, or tortellini… but, my kids love it! So, during my meal prep planning this week, I decided to add a pasta dish to give them a cheesy pasta treat.
Even though this isn’t for me… I made it convenient and added vegetables. After all, a mom has to sneak vegetables in any chance she gets!
- 1 bag frozen Kroger brand cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup Alfredo Sauce (any brand you prefer, I used Bertolli)
- 1 bag of Steamfresh frozen peas (steamed)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of water or nonfat milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare, cook tortellini according to instructions. Drain pasta, add back to pasta pot. Add Alfredo sauce, peas, seasonings, and water. Mix, and heat through. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Modifications: You could use more or less sauce. I tend to dilute the sauce slightly to reduce the amount I need to use (reduces calories in the meal). You could dilute with fat-free half n half, milk, pasta water, or just regular water…
In this prep, you could also add other vegetables like asparagus, zucchini, etc.
- This prep is higher in calories (pasta, cheese, and more cheese…), so if you enjoy this type of dish I would suggest trying to avoid adding too many additional elements to it (keep it simple!). My kids are extremely active, so the extra calories isn’t a big concern.
- I would likely eat this one earlier in the day to give my body a chance to burn the carbs off.
- You could also look for a whole grain option… I didn’t see one at Kroger (using Click List), but I’m sure there are plenty out there. If you find a good one, please let me know!
Prep time = ~ 15 min
Calories = ~440
# of containers = 5