Can’t wait to eat this one… you don’t have to put in a jar (bento box is ok too)… but, the layers are nice to look at don’t you think? This is a great vegan option that you can eat cold or hot!
This was another Pinterest inspiration: http://www.melaniecooks.com/mexican-mason-jar-salad/8901/
I actually didn’t read the recipe, just looked at the picture… seemed pretty straightforward… so I just went for it!
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice (I used 2 bags of SteamFresh)
- 1 can of organic black beans (I used Simple Truth), rinsed and drained
- 1 bag (~10 oz) SteamFresh corn
- 1 organic onion (sliced into bite-size pcs)
- 1 organic green bell pepper (sliced into bite-size pcs)
- 4 small avocados (diced)
- 1 lime
- 1 cup of fresh salsa
- 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning (I used WildTree)
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil (for onion + pepper saute)
- Salt & pepper to taste
I sauteed onion and green bell pepper with taco seasoning. Cooked the rice and corn according to directions on package. I seasoned beans and corn with salt and pepper. Also, when I was cutting up avocado, I coated with lime juice to slow the browning process.
Layered in each container: 3/4 cup of rice, 1/4 cup black beans 1/2 cup of corn, ~1 cup of onion + pepper saute, 1 small avocado (coated with lime juice).
When ready to eat, I’ll add fresh salsa and shake it all up!
This one you can eat cold or hot… just can add salsa after warming up.
Calories = ~300 per container
Prep time = 20 min
# of containers = 4